Your kindness and generosity in 2011 touched the lives of hundreds of thousands of needy children, families and communities around the globe. Thanks to you…
- The Laura Viguna Shelter in Freetown opened its doors to dozens of homeless girls, providing them with safety and protection against exploitation and abuse on the streets.
- Our feeding center in Dilla, Ethiopia, distributed thousands of nutritious meals to starving children, many of whom traveled long distances on foot with their mothers, just for the chance to survive another day.
- 80,000 famine victims from the Horn of Africa were allowed to seek refuge at several Salesian camps. An additional 36,000 people directly benefited from our programs that distributed water, served meals and constructed wells to provide sustainable water supplies.
- 30,000 refugees fleeing violence on the Ivory Coast were welcomed at the local Salesian Center. These innocent victims had no where else to turn after rioters looted and torched their communities.
- The recovery process in Haiti continued as Salesian schools were reopened to a record number of students. Our progress garnered the attention of the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund, which pledged $250,000 for the purchase of heavy machinery, tools and materials that will enable students from the Salesian Technical School to help rebuild their devastated country.
- The new Don Bosco Bus – a full-service support center on wheels – brought help and hope to 2,500 street children of Sierra Leone, including 500 girls.
- The Salesian Youth Center in Rio de Janeiro offered comfort to a young generation traumatized by violence, including a school shooting that claimed the lives of 12 students.
- Orphaned boys living alone in the remote countryside of Rwanda were rescued by Salesian missionaries and given a safe place to live.
These are just a few examples of the many ways your support has made a difference over the past year. You are a true friend to the poor and needy and on their behalf, we thank you for your kindness and compassion and wish you and your family the best for 2012.
Your support is always needed and greatly appreciated. If you have the ability to make a special gift this Christmas, please click here. It will be one of the most meaningful ways to express your love and support for poor and needy children during the holiday season.