The Mission Office

Statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus overlooking the Mission Office

The Salesian Mission Office is under the guidance of the Eastern USA and Canadian Salesian Province. It is located in New Rochelle, NY, a residential city on the Long Island Sound, about 20 miles north of New York City.

The Mission Office was founded in 1947 by Fr. James O'Loughlen who directed it for five years. In 1959, the responsibility was passed to Fr. Edward Cappelletti who remained Director for the next 37 years until 1996, giving it development, importance and dynamism.

Today, Fr. Mark Hyde, as Director, dedicates his life and love for the missions to continue advancing the office.

The primary purpose of the Salesian Mission Office is threefold:

  • To raise funds that support the works of nearly 30,000 missionaries including Salesian Priests, Brothers, Sisters and novices who assist poor youth and families in more than 130 countries around the globe, including the United States. Funds are solicited mainly from direct mail appeals and through government grants. The office also actively seeks sources of in-kind donations.
  • To build awareness of the Salesians of St. John Bosco, the second largest order in the Catholic Church.
  • To promote and encourage prayer and the principles of St. John Bosco, which are reason, kindness and religion. This is partly accomplished by a Chapel Building Program that builds places of worship in underdeveloped countries and through our seminaries, that offer a path to religious life.

The life saving works that are funded by the Salesian Missions Office is due in great part to the love, compassion and generosity of the American people.

For over 60 years, we have been your hands reaching out to the abandoned, forgotten and destitute youth of the world.

Salesian Missions has recently rebranded. Learn more about the meaning behind our logo!